Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 2003 14:44:57 -0500
From:      Kevin Fogleman <krfogleman@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Monitoring the entire filesystem?

Is there an existing way to monitor the entire filesystem for changes to
any file, particularly changes in extended attributes?

I've read over the documentation for kqueue, but some things were left
unclear.  For example, it appears the man page has not been updated for
5.0 and thus doesn't specify whether or how extended attributes can be
monitored for modifications.  Also, it appears that kqueue needs a file
descriptor for each file that one would want to monitor, making any
large-scale file monitoring impractical.  Is there any other way in
FreeBSD to be notified of file modifications in a way that would allow
one to monitor the whole file system or large portions of it?  I don't
really need to know whether a particular attribute changed, but rather
just whether any of them changed.

--Kevin Fogleman