Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:14:22 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>
Cc:        Bigby Findrake <bigby@shiva.eu.org>, jay d <service_account@yahoo.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple machines in the same network

Cliff Skolnick wrote:

> Hacked arp code on one machine could return a broadcast or multicast
> ethernet address to an arp query for any machine.  The switch would then
> treat all traffic as broadcast sending it to every port.  Since the machines
> TCP/IP layer would receive the packet it woudl still be on the network, of
> course it would be receiving and dropping a bit more.  Performance may be
> effected.  :)
>
> You really want the machines on a seperate segment and to be routed instead
> of switched.

No, you don't, you want them on seperate VLANs, each of which is it's own
broadcast domain.  Then your trick won't do anything at all.

Go read http://www.xylan.com/library/switchbook/index.html and read "The
Switching Book II."  It's a short read, and will bring you up to date on
what VLANs are and how they can protect segments of your network.  Then look
aroundfor a reasonably priced VLAN-capable switch and learn how to use it.

<PLUG>
Check out http://www.shopper.com/prdct/721/192.html for a head start on your
shopping.  ;^)
</PLUG>

<ANTI-PLUG>
For a better price/port, see http://www.shopper.com/prdct/768/063.html
These guys are very hard to beat -- for a few more months.  ;^)
</ANTI-PLUG>

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com