Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 08:03:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "N. Emile Akabi-Davis" <akabi@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Reflections on FreeBSD 2.2.6

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Nik Clayton wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 11:54:49AM -0400, N. Emile Akabi-Davis wrote:
> > The installation was nearly problem free, but I got thru it. I do have
> > a couple of things I would like to get done like setting up my PnP
> > modem and getting my cdrom to play music. But I have come reading to
> > do. Major problem for me is getting used to using the ESC key for
> > filename completion instead of the TAB key.
>
> That's a shell issue. For most Linux distributions, the default user
> shell is bash. FreeBSD uses the two standard Unix shells, sh and csh.
>
> If you want to use bash, you'll need to install it. It's available as
> both a port and a package. Section 4 of the Handbook goes through
> how to install ports.
Yep, you were right. I have installed bash and that is what
I currently use. Now I have to set it up properly so that it
sources the /etc/bashrc and ~/.bashrc.

> > Well at least
> > I do not know what to set as yet to allow this. Another quirk
> > I noticed was that in X, my backspace key deletes forwards.
>
> Very odd. It might be something to do with your keymappings in your
> XF86Config file, as I've never had that problem. Does the "Keyboard"
> section of /etc/XF86Config look sensible to you?
It did, but it was the wrong setting. I have changed it
and now all is fine.

> > I notice there is no support
> > for parallel port Zip Drives as yet, so I'll have to copy/backup
> > to a Linux partition and from there transfer to a Zip disk.
>
> Parellel port ZIP support is in -current, if you have the resources to
> run that. Alternatively, try
>
>     <URL:http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~son/ppa3.html>;
>
> which has a driver and instructions on how to use it on your system.
Visited the site, got the tarbol and have installed it.
Works fine except I do not have long file name support.
Quick Q: Does msdos driver support long filenames and it
yes how do I activate it?

> > Oh yeah, I recompiled my kernel successfully. BTW, when booting
> > up, why does it just sit there as if something is wrong when it
> > is detecting my harddrive and cdrom.
>
> It's being careful about the delay, as some devices need a long time to
> respond to probes. Hopefully you won't need to reboot too often :-)
Noticed that. Well at least we both know a reboot won't be
cause by a crash ;-).

Ta very much for the advice. I should have a cablemodem installed
this wknd, then I plan upgrading to 2.2.7 with KDE 1.0. Should be
a good experience.
--
Caio                            |Oliver's Law: Experience is something you
N.Emile <DeR vInYl JuNkIe>      |  do not get until just after you need it.