Date:      Sun, 25 May 2003 21:48:01 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        jhuvinen@cc.hut.fi
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating ports

On Sun, 25 May 2003 Jukka Huvinen <jhuvinen@cc.hut.fi> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 May 2003, clayton rollins wrote:
>
> > >I have only a modem connection and I would like to avoid updating
> > >everything and would like to stay within stable-branch.
> > >

> > If you use cvsup with compression, it shouldn't be too big to just get
>the
> > ports tree. (I think it was just over 30 megs when I did it...)
>
>Yes, the tree is not a problem, but the ports are. XFree + gnome2 are
>almost everything. And all depends on others...

I see what you mean; yes, it is a *lot* of stuff.

>I updated to the "current" ports tree also, but some of them are not even
>available as a package. Also portupgrade used a download path
>.../stable_4_8 ... or similar and did not find the packages. Getting them
>manually was possible, but I ended up with partial upgrade and
>nonfunctional X. Something went wrong.
>
>pkg_delete -a and reinstall restored it back to 4.8...

First, did you check to see if the packages may have just been moved?
/usr/ports/MOVED has a listing of recently removed or moved packages...

I'm not really sure what you mean by "portupgrade used a download path
.../stable_4_8 ... or similar." Was this in the URL, or the distfile path?
If it's the second, you might verify that PORTSDIR is not set to point to
it. If it's the first, you might check the Makefile line MASTER_SITES to see
if it's pointing to it. (I have no plausable explanation for either case,
though.)

At any rate, this question is a bit beyond what -newbies should handle. Feel
free to ask again on -questions.

(A crazy newbie idea to, quite likely, get yourself in trouble: run a 'pkgdb
-u' without updating the tree, then 'portupgrade -r -R XFree86.' I have no
idea if it would/should work. (that's what you get when you ask a newbie
questions... I'm not sure if 'pkgdb -u' checks against a remote database; I
think it does.) Checking with portversion will show if pkgdb lists the
packages as outdated; if it does, portupgrade *should* work.)

Peace,
Clayton