Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:35:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X and DHCP

>Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 06:39:32 +1030 (CST)
>From: "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>

>On 13-Nov-2001 Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> > Kind of sucks from a security perspective though.

>>  I'd like to state this far more strongly. I sucks huge rocks from a
>>  security perspective if you are on a multiuser system....

>But if you are using a laptop it is probably totally irrelevant.

With all due respect, I fail to see how the form factor of the system is
of any relevance to the issue:  the system is still a mutli-user
networked machine, and services that may be accessed via the network may
well be vectors for exploits.

>BTW the number of people using startx (which defaults to xhost authentication)
>is quite large :(

I'm willing to believe that, though it isn't justification for considering
the behavior in question as desirable.

Indeed, by using xdm, I was able to make use of ssh-agent, and thus make
ssh very easy to use -- yes, from my laptop.  And good security that is
easy to use is a Very Good Thing.

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.