Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 17:37:58 -0500
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

In lists.freebsd.current you write:

>> > 1.    A concern that FreeBSD tends to "bind" for brief periods when
>> >     loaded...
>>
>> Can this is an IDE issue?  I never saw anything like this until
>> I configured an IDE mail server.  That system pauses for seconds
>> sometimes, and then continues.  This is running -stable, syscons
>> only (no X), no messages logged, etc.  The echo stops going to
>> the display, the ethernet activity is stopped, all in all it seems
>> to be locked up for three or four seconds.
>>
>> We have three SCSI only systems and haven't ever seen this, and
>> one IDE system that pauses.

>I have seen pauses on the order of a second or two on a SCSI system
>with PCI + NCR controller.

>Typically, there are no console messages associated, as one would
>expect with timeouts (which the IDE theory implies).

>When the pauses start happening, they will continue happening with
>a moderate frequency.  Typing "sync" will cure the problem for a short
>period of time, after which it will recurr.  Generally, I type "sync"
>often enough from my V6 background that it doesn't hit me.  When it
>does, it's obvious.

A couple of months back Matt Dillion was here (-hackers actually) talking about
this same (similar?) problem which he had tracked down to the VM system, and
even provided a solution, that seems to have been sat on.  Matt is a really
really sharp guy, perhaps we should take a closer look at what he has done?

-Crh
--

    Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu

                     http://rs560.msu.edu/~henrich/