Date:      24 Nov 1997 08:49:55 +0100
From:      Thomas Gellekum <tg@ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Random Junk <jsd@gamespot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: python 1.4 port in 2.2.5

Random Junk <jsd@gamespot.com> writes:

> has anyone got a python 1.4 built with thread support on freebsd
> 2.2.5?  i made and installed libc_r but python is looking for -lthread
> or something like that and i don't know anything about threads, so i
> am loathe to just blithely replace a library.

>From /usr/ports/lang/python/Makefile:

# If you want to use Python's thread module, you need to set WITH_THREADS
# to 'yes', and you must have the FreeBSD threading c library (libc_r)
# installed. See 'man 3 pthread' for details on libc_r.

`make WITH_THREADS=yes' in /usr/ports/lang/python should do the
trick. As long as we don't enable libc_r by default (I hope this will
change, btw) we need to take some precautions.

> the python in /usr/ports/lang depends on tcl and tk which seems odd to
> me, given that it's mainly a text-based language.  i am not installing
> X on this machine just to build a language interpreter.

There's nothing odd to it. Tk is the standard widget set for python
and many of our ports assume that X is installed. Diskspace is cheap
today.

> if anybody has any of the following, please get in touch:
>
> 1. prebuilt tarball of python with threads that will run on FBSD 2.2.5

I can prepare a package, but currently you would get Tk support with it.

> 2. instructions on how to build python with thread support on 2.2.5

See above.

> 3. a python port that doesn't require X for installation

I'll try to think of something.

tg