Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2012 00:42:33 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: doom, quake, hexen...

Yuri Pankov wrote:

> > Please advise if there are any 3D shooters in the ports collection
> > which work out of the box on 9.0-STABLE (amd64)? None of those I have
> > tried work for a number of irritating reasons, like e.g.
> >
> > games/uhexen: http://pastebin.com/ZaJ74eaa
> >
> > games/doom: http://pastebin.com/XdrCwzvn
> >
> > games/quake2lnx even pretends to do something: it opens a tiny X11
> > window with some flickering rubbish and plays some farting sounds to
> > the audio system.
> >
> > Is there any working 3D shooter in the ports collection my 8 year old
> > son could enjoy?
> >
> > Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Try games/deng.

This one would not run out of the box either:

[sudakov@vas ~] deng -game jdoom -file tmp/DOOM.WAD
Z_Create: New 32.0 MB memory volume.
determineGlobalPaths: Base path = /usr/local/share/deng/
Con_Init: Initializing the console.
Executable: Version 1.9.0-beta6.9 Aug 21 2012 (DGL).
Sys_InitWindowManager: Using SDL window management.
While opening dynamic library
/usr/local/lib/libjdoom.so:
  /usr/local/lib/libjdoom.so: Undefined symbol "Con_AddCommand"
loadGamePlugin: Loading of libjdoom.so failed ((null)).
Error loading game library.Z_Shutdown: Used 1 volumes, total 33554432
bytes.
[sudakov@vas ~]

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN