Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2012 14:50:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Copeland <michael@kryptos-security.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quick question about dev.smu dev.smusat on powermac11,2

--1464019946-1187362250-1351453801=:41855

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012, Michael Copeland wrote:

>=20
>=20
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org=
> wrote:
>       It should work fine (it does on my desktop, which is a G5 of the sa=
me model). Since I wrote that
>       program, fan control has moved to the kernel. The fans should be fa=
irly quickly responsive (the
>       algorithm is quite basic) but should never go to full or cause a pa=
nic. Which release are you
>       running? There were some improvements to fan control in 9.1.
>       -Nathan
>
>       On Sun, 28 Oct 2012, Michael Copeland wrote:
>
>       Is the fan control disabled by default on a GP dual core? Only reas=
on I ask
>       is that the fans on spool up under full load, and that usually resu=
lts in a
>       panic.
>       I did make a rather simple program and associated script to control=
 the
>       fans, but this happens to result in the fans constantly going up an=
d down
>       by about 300-400 rpm even while doing something simple like portsna=
>       extract. I checked the list after doing that, and found a thread wh=
ere
>       someone else already did the same thing(a common problem of mine, I=
 usually
>       try to fix it myself without checking the list). I swapped out the =
program
>       written by Nathan, but my results are the same. It DOES work, but I=
 was
>       only wondering if it's normal for the fan speed to vary so often.
>
>       Thanks,
>
>       Michael
>=20
> Hi Nathan,
> It's 9.1-PRE, from.. 3 days ago.=A0
> The fans, without my app running either spin at the lowest rpm, or the fa=
stest. Once it's at max rpm, in 5
> minutes it will panic.
>=20

Interesting -- that should not happen, to say the least. Could you report=
=20
what the panic is and print out the contents of the dev.smu and dev.smusat=
=20
registries?

You can also disable automatic fan control by the sysctl=20
machdep.manage_fans (although I'd like to find and fix the actual problem=
=20
here)
-Nathan
--1464019946-1187362250-1351453801=:41855--