Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:32:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Optimization done in TCP/IP stack

I have put all distribution files on a machine and installed three PCs via
FTP from that machine. The installation process should access the same
files, the buffer cache can be used to improve effieciency on the
filesystem side. I am wondering whether some sort of optimization is done
on the TCP/IP side in this situation.  Do we have to copy data from
buffer-cache to mbuf each time we need to send the data over network?  As
far as I know, the buffer cache has identity associated with it (vnode,
block #), but the mbuf does not.

Any help is appreciated.

-Zhihui