Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 95 10:01:53 EDT
From:      jeffa@sybase.com (Jeff Anuszczyk)
To:        tanel@juku.li.ttu.ee
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, jeffa@sybase.com
Subject:   Re: out of inodes

> I have such a problem:  I'm using /var filesystem for spooling news and mail
> But now the filesystem ran out of inodes, although there is still 50 megs
> of free space. What can I do?

Alas, the only solution to this is to backup the disk and re-newfs it.
The problem is that the newfs command allocates one i-node per 2K of disk
blocks.  This is normally quite nice.  However, news is a pathelogical case
in that most files are very small (well under 2K in size).  As such you need
to tell newfs to allocate i-nodes based upon a size less than 2K.  To
do this you use (I think) the "-i" option on newfs.  Something like:

	newfs -i 1024 /dev/rsd??

This will cause the initialization of the filesystem to be done allocating
one inode per 1K of disk space.  Essentially it will double the number of
inodes that you have available (and hence double the number of files that
you can have).

After that, restore and enjoy.

- Jeff