Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 1997 12:47:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Edwin Culp <eculp@ver1.telmex.net.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Undefined symbol _procfs_exit during make release.

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Edwin Culp wrote:

> Alex wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Edwin Culp wrote:
> >
> > > Yesterday I made my first attempt to do a make release and after about
> > > 600 Mega and 12 hours
> > > I got this Undefined symbol message.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know why?
> > > Do I have to go through the whole 12 hour process to rebuild the
> > > release?
> >
> > This was actually fixed right before your message was sent.  Easiest thing
> > to do is run cvsup on your whole src tree which will update only the
> > things that need to be changed.  Then you can rebuild anything you really
> > want to (like the kernel).
> >
> > - alex
>
> I did just that.  I'm now about 6 hours into a new make release that I
> assume
> will be successful.  This is the first time I've made a release so I'm
> still
> lacking confidence:-)

Well actually you don't need to make release to build your own kernel.
Just make your kernel config file (usually placed in src/sys/i386/conf) cd
to that dir (the one you put your config file) run config configfilename,
cd to the dir that config spitsout, and run make (then make install if you
want to use it).  config -g will generate a set of makefiles that add
debugging info to the kernel.

- alex