Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 20:12:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Drew Morone <drew@j51.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Processes -will- -not- die!

For some reason, some of the user apps on my system will get hung, and
won't die when somebody exits unceremoniously. I of course have to go in
and kill the process, which proceeds to suck up all of the CPU. This
seems to happen most with "pine" and "tin", but will happen with other
software as well.
I thought it might have something to do with the user environment, but I
tried it with the default .login and a bourne shell and it still does the
same thing.
I thought of setting a trap to kill the processes when a hangup signal is
sent, but that should really be happening anyway,  when someone gets
disconnected.
I'm running 2.1.0-RELEASE, on a P100 with 64Megs of RAM. If there's any
other info I should include, please tell me.

Drew

|||   `_ _'            Drew Morone    |||    drew@j51.com          `_ _'  |||
|||     -         TZ-Link Internet    |||    47 Summit Street        -    |||
|||   ` U '   System Administrator    |||    Nyack, NY 10960-372   ` U '  |||