Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:36:37 -0400
From:      David Samms <dsamms@nw-ds.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.1 RC2 Wireless Networking Broken

On 07/26/10 10:09, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Friday, July 23, 2010 12:56:24 pm David Samms wrote:
>> I switched my Thinkpad T61p from FreeBSD 8.1 RC2 i386 to amd64 and
>> experienced a failure of the wireless networking.  The setup is as follows:
>>
>> /etc/rc.conf
>> -----------------------
>> wlans_ath0="wlan0"
>> ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP"
>>
>> On boot the "wlan0" interface was NOT created.  If I manually ran
>> "ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev ath0", then everything was OK.
>>
>> The exact same setup (rc.conf, loader.conf, wpa_suplicant.conf) works
>> fine under FreeBSD 8.1 RC2 i386
>
> Hmm, the rc scripts are identical between i386 and amd64, and many people are
> able to use wlan's with amd64.  Can you provide more details and ensure you
> don't have any typos?

Thank you for your reply.

No typos, the files were copied from a working i386 to amd64 via flash
drive.  When retesting tonight with 8.1_release (new iso downloaded)
there was no problem.

It is safe to assume that I had a corrupted copy of RC2 which was not
downloaded as an iso, rather upgraded from 8.0 via cvsup.  Perhaps I
received mismatched versions of some files.  Unfortunately I no longer
have the exact same code set to test.

Below are the config files requested
# /boot/loader.conf
#Nothing relevant...