Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 21:14:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall 'A'uto partitioning

:On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 04:06:24AM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
:> Luke Hollins <lwh@pathcom.com> wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
:>  > I was using sysinstall the other day and hit Auto defaults just to see
:>  > what it suggested, and got this on a 20GB disk:
:>  > wd0s1a    /               50MB UFS Y
:>  > wd0s1b    swap           651MB SWAP
:>  > wd0s1e    /var            20MB UFS Y
:>  > wd0s1f    /usr         18849MB UFS Y
:>  >
:>  > the /var one struck me as really bad just thought i would mention it
:>
:> I think 20 Mbyte is perfectly OK.  More than that would be a
:> waste of diskspace on a workstation.  And if you're installing
:> a server, you probably don't use the "A"uto defaults anyway.
:
:I disagree.  It would be true if people only processed text documents
:and sent e-mail through /var/spool, but today there are office suites to
:contend with.  A 20Mbyte print job is not all that unreasionable for a
:large Powerpoint presentation, especialy if it has a background image.
:I once printed one that was averaging about 1MB per page and was nearly
:30 pages long.  It's even worse if you have to rasterize the thing
:localy with ghostscript.  A full page 600dpi image is freaking huge.
:We've got a native office suite now, it would be nice it it worked well
:by default.  (While I'm at it, the default print spool file size limit,
:1MB, is rediculous.)
:
:-- Brooks

    I'll tell ya, I *never* use the auto-defaults.  They are way too
    tiny.  A 50MB root barely fits the kernel and you can run it out of
    space doing an installworld.  I almost always do this:

	/		128M
	swap		(double system memory at a minimum)
	/var		128M
	/var/tmp	128M
	/usr		(at least 1G)
	/u1		(remainder, if it's a big disk)

	/tmp softlink to /var/tmp    (because having two tmp's is stupid)
	/home softlink to /u1/home

	If I need a big spool for mail I usually create a /var/spool
	partition.  Never create a /var/spool/mail or /var/spool/mqueue
	partition, since a directory as a mount point cannot be easily
	shrunk since you can't tar-copy/rm-rf/rename it.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>