Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:49:52 -0500
From:      "Paul C. Boyle" <paulcb_mcse@yahoo.com>
To:        <christopherp@ceconet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & SETI@Home

On February 28, 2002 08:34 am, you wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> 	I got your email from the questions list.  I just purchased FreeBSD 4.4.
> It came with the Handbook.  I also order the one by Mrs. Anderson.  I run a
> Seti Farm with 14 machines.  After I get the second handbook, if I run into
> problems, would you be willing to answer questions that I can not find in
> the manuals regarding S@H?  Right now my network is NT machines, using
> Setiqueue for the server and SetiDriver to get units from the Setiqueue
> server.  I am planning on using KDE in FreeBSD since there are some
> utilities for S@H designed to be used with KDE.  Is this a good plan?  What
> do you use and recommend.
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Christopher Parrish

Well if your just starting out with FreeBSD  you can't have too many books.
I highly recommend  The Complete FreeBSD. --- Mainly for installing.
Also  Unix System Administration Handbook. ---This is a big help once your
installed.  I use the BASH shell so I found Learning the Bash Shell from
O'reilly very helpfull as well.
You have to remember that although FreeBSD comes with pretty windows and
things, you still have to learn a shell environment.  No exeptions.
So When I run Setiathome its from the command line. I have tried the
xsetiathome feature, somtimes it works somtimes it doesn't.  There is also a
plugin for gkrellm but that hasn't worked for me yet.
Of course if you have questions ask away.  Rule of thumb is to ask on the
mailing list so everyone can benefit.  Most of us are friendly. Some like to
flame. Some even like to put newbies in there place. Tackfully of course.  As
long as you do read your manuals and try that should not be a problem.