Date:      Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:32:29 -0700
From:      Frank Jahnke <jahnke@sonatabio.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (minor) issues after upgrading to 2.20

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 15:47 -0500, Jeremy Messenger wrote:

> > 1. The icons for attachments for Evolution were not included.  There are
> > two of them.
>
> I don't use evolution, so I will let someone to check on it.

I personally like it, but over the years it has had more bugs in it than the rest of Gnome combined.

> > 2. gnome-art selected from the "Preferences" menu does not work.
>
> The gnome-art is no longer maintain by the developers. :-/ But I can check
> and see if there is anything that I can do.

Well, if it is on the menu, it ought to do *something*.

> > 3. The screensaver at first was not able to be loaded by a regular user.
> > After logging into and out of Gnome as su, I was able to load the
> > screensaver as user.  Using it, however, crashed the system.  Evolution
> > complained the most.
>
> I can't reproduce it in both dummy account (fresh) and upgrade (with all
> old ~/.* stuff). Although, I don't have old ~/.* stuff anymore but it was
> what I have tested last time. We will need errors from the output.

I'll see what I can do.  There won't be tracebacks, but I can give you the
basic error messages.  FWIW, I've also had a lot of trouble with the screensaver
over the years.  It is second only to Evolution for bugs.

> > 4.  The Tomboy icon is missing
>
> Do you mean by in GNOME's menu? If you do, then I can't reproduce it. It
> is in Accessories -> Tomyboy Notes.

No; I had a Tomboy icon on my top panel.  It vanished.  Tomboy also worked once
and failed once after the upgrade.  Here's the error message:

** ERROR **: _wapi_shm_semaphores_init: semget error: No space left on device.
Try deleting some semaphores with ipcs and ipcrm or increase the maximum number
of semaphore in the system.
aborting...
Stacktrace:

I've not investigated yet.  I do find Tomboy to be surprisingly useful for simple
things like to-do lists.

> > 7. Evolution gives many, many warning message, some of which are
> > "critical."  It has crashed on me a few times, and other times it
> > becomes extremely unresponsive.
>
> I don't use evolution, so I will let someone to check on it. Are you using
> amd64 by any chance? If you do, then it's kind of known issue as pav and
> ahze have reported that it's slow on amd64. But it works fine and fast in
> i386.

No, I'm on i386 (an old dual Athlon).  I'll get messages when they come up.

> > 9. OO.o had to be rebuilt.  Again, not a bug, but it might be worth
> > mentioning in UPDATING.  This could also be xorg, as I upgraded both at
> > nearly the same time.
>
> Maybe it needs to be bump instead add it in UPDATING. You mean by OO.org2?

Right.  I had been on OO.o m200/xorg 7.2/Gnome 2.18.3, and it worked.
When I completed the upgrade to 7.3/2.20 it no longer did.  There were
no error messages -- it just did not do anything.

Compiling OO.o 2.3 restored its functionality.  Again, this may be an
xorg issue.

> > 10. There are no updates of Fifth Toe or Power tools yet.
>
> What do you mean by this? I can't read your mind. :-) The Fifth Toe should
> be at 2.20.0 and has a new dependency, gnome-devel-docs. But I noticed
> that I need to fix gnome-themes-extras dependency in there. As for the
> Power tools, it's same on 2.20.0 but I noticed that there is a bug that
> need to update epiphany's path. I will fix it.

When I finished the portupgrade, I received the following message:

** Listing the failed packages (*:skipped / !:failed)^
        ! x11/gnome2-fifth-toe (gnome2-fifth-toe-2.18.3)        (install
error)
        ! x11/gnome2-power-tools (gnome2-power-tools-2.18.3)    (install
error)

I take your reply to mean that the pieces were indeed updated, but there
is no corresponding entry (yet) for the port entries.

> > 11. Automatic spell checking does not work in Epiphany, though it does
> > in Firefox.
>
> Because it is not enable. :-) It is disable by default in the configure
> and it claimed that it is experimental. If you run 'make configure' and
> you will see this:
>
>          [...]
>          Spellchecker               : no (experimental)
>
> I can add a knob option to allow you to enable it if you want me to.

Hmmm.  That worked for me before (in 2.18.x), and I don't recall doing
anything special last time.  I has been quite a while since I installed
it, though.  A knob would be useful, as my typing is not that accurate
(-DWHAT?).

> > 12. Epiphany extensions (I use Flash Blocker) broke in the upgrade. I've
> > not looked into this yet.
>
> It is supposed to be enable by default. What do you mean by broke?

The path to the stylesheet is listed in the "Fonts & Style" Preferences
tab -- @import url(chrome://flashblock/content/flashblock.css); -- but
Flash is still displayed.

I must say that 2.20 has some very useful features, like integrating
Evolution's printing into the Gnome framework and the ability of Evince
to fill forms.  The upgrade too was pretty easy.  Most of these things
seem like they are small.

Thanks for tending to them!

Frank