Date:      Mon, 29 May 1995 14:55:40 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu
Subject:   Re: LINUX emulator working (dare I say DOOM here we goooooo)

>I've tried just about everything on my 0412 system, but I get nothing but Bus
>Errors (core dumped).  Which feels like the lkm isnt, any suggestions?

Did you use the undcoumented option COMPAT_LINUX?  This option isn't even
in LINT and causes compiler warnings when used.  `linux_syscall' in
exception.s is out of date and messes up `intr_nesting_level'.

I tried a couple of simple Linux utilities and test programs and found
the following:

- I have libraries in /lib (as in Linux) and ld.so in /sbin (not quite
  as in Linux) so there was almost a name clash.  Linux's libc.so.4.5.26
  worked because its major number is larger than FreeBSD's libc.so.2.1.
- Linux OMAGIC shared executables (with text and data together) don't work.
- Linux ZMAGIC shared executables seem to work.
- FreeBSD's `file' works better than Linux's `file' to tell me what Linux
  executables are :-).  This may be the fault of the Linux installation
  being old.
- some debugging printfs enabled by COMPAT_LINUX were executed.
- In an i/o testing program, signal(SIGINT, onsig) returned SIG_ERR.
  When this error was ignored, select() returned an error.  I expected
  these to work and termios stuff to fail a little later.

Bruce