Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 2014 16:01:36 -0800
From:      Waitman Gobble <uzimac@da3m0n8t3r.com>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recommended usb wifi device?

On 2/4/2014 2:32 PM, Pedro Flynn wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
>      I'm very satisfied with the Ralink 3070 based USB devices, which I have
> different models from different manufacturers.
> Though I'm facing some problems that are specific to FreeBSD 10.0 and
> working in access point mode, they work very well both
> in client and access point modes. These devices use the run driver.
>
> best regards,
>
> pflynn
>

> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a USB wifi device with a functional driver?
>>
>> I'm looking at getting a new laptop soon but it will probably have an Intel
>> 7260 chipset, so I'm looking for another option for wifi connectivity while
>> we wait for Adrian to write that driver. ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Colin Percival
>> Security Officer Emeritus, FreeBSD | The power to serve
>> Founder, Tarsnap | www.tarsnap.com | Online backups for the truly paranoid

Hi,

Ralink is a good choice esp. for USB. You might have trouble using other
supported chipsets which are connected to the USB port.

Also note that the wireless card in the laptop can be replaced for about
ten bucks. It's typically the easiest thing to replace in a laptop. If
you decide to swap out your wifi card I'd recommend Atheros.

--
Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA