Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 03:21:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Daniel Mahoney, Systems Admin" <danm@firestorm2000.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Still...Frontpage...

Okay, here's my scenario...

Apache 1.3.12  Freebsd 3.2 Release Frontpage server extensions 4.0 rel 1.1

(apache is configured to run with suexec.  I'm considering compiling it
without just to see if it makes a lick of difference, but I HIGHLY doubt
it).

And I think this is something silly I'm doing on my part, but I can't for
the life of me grasp it.

I have my root web.  It accepts its password.  I "install" a virtual web,
and the password I give it is not respected, but the admin password for my
root web will get me into both places.

(actually, it reads them both as root webs), just for different virtual
hosts.

I _AM_ running name based virtual hosts, but the tutorial's I've seen say
that's supported.  Even when I add users to either domain via frontpage,
the passwords aren't honored.  (And it DOES recognize that there are two
different domains).  This is REALLY secure. Like, "here, you
wanna edit?  Have root".

The only solution I can see for this is running a SEPARATE build of this
crap for every fp-enabled server.

Have a look at what I did, and what's below.  Have I created these things
wrong?  I've followed all the tutorials exactly.  I'm using the freeBSD
frontpage from rtr, and that's where I got the install script.

If anyone sees anything significant, scream!

--------------------------------

Do you want to install a root web (y/n) [Y]?  y

Installing the root web...

Server config filename:   /usr/local/apachefp/conf/httpd.conf
FrontPage Administrator's user name:  fprootadmin
Unix user name of the owner of this new web:[nobody]  fpcontent

Unix group of this new web:[nobody]  fpcontent

    1.  ncsa
    2.  apache
    3.  apache-fp
    4.  netscape-fasttrack
    5.  netscape-enterprise
    6.  stronghold
What type of Server is this:  2

Installing root web into port 80...

installing server / on port 80

Will chown web to fpcontent as part of install.
Will chgrp web to fpcontent as part of install.

Starting install, port: 80, web: "root web"

Password for user "fprootadmin":
Confirm password:
Creating web http://fptest.firestorm2000.com
Chowning Content in service root web
Chmoding Extensions in service root web
Install completed.

    1.  LATIN1 (ISO 8859-1)
    2.  LATIN2 (ISO 8859-2)
    3.  EUCJP  (Japanese EUC)
    4.  EUCKR  (Korean EUC)
Which local character encoding does your system support: [1]  1

    1.  English
    2.  French
    3.  German
    4.  Italian
    5.  Japanese
    6.  Spanish

What should the default language be: [1] 1

Setting /usr/local/frontpage/version4.0/frontpage.cnf to:

defaultLanguage:en
localCharEncoding:latin1

Moving /usr/local/frontpage/version4.0/frontpage.cnf to
/usr/local/frontpage/version4.0
/frontpage.cnf.orig

Creating and modifying new
/usr/local/frontpage/version4.0/frontpage.cnf...

Install new sub/per-user webs now (y/n) [Y]?  n
For details on how to upgrade servers manually, please see
the Server Extension Resource Kit (SERK), located in
/usr/local/frontpage/version4.0/serk

Installing Virtual Webs..

Do you want to install Virtual Webs (y/n) [Y]?  n

Installation completed!  Exiting...

freebsd2# ./fpsrvadm.exe -o install -m test.iacus.com -u iacus -pw 5uca1pf
-s "/usr/local/apachefp/conf/httpd.conf" -type apache -xu fpcontent -xg fpcontent

Starting install, port: test.iacus.com:80, web: "root web"

Creating web http://test.iacus.com
Chowning Content in service root web
Chmoding Extensions in service root web
Install completed.

And my apache config:

<VirtualHost 204.141.99.253:80>
    ServerAdmin michaeln@iacus.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/home/WEBSERVER/iacus.com/test_public_html
    ServerName test.iacus.com
    ErrorLog /usr/home/WEBSERVER/iacus.com/error_log
    CustomLog /usr/home/WEBSERVER/iacus.com/access_log common
</VirtualHost>

<Directory /usr/home/WEBSERVER/iacus.com/new_public_html>
AllowOverride All
</Directory>