Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 22:19:02 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, platforms@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speed test

Poul-Henning Kamp writes:

> That should be moderately easy:  Grab lites and get moving...
>
> I somehow doubt that there are many Mac owners who are into UNIX ...

I've always said, "Gimme a Mac, or gimme Unix, keep the half-baked poor excuse Microsoft boxes to yourself." Maybe I'm 3-sigma?

When pushing virtual (or real) paper, nothing beats a Mac. For computing tasks, nothing beats Unix. I'm sysadmin for about 25 systems, half Sun, half SGI. Inherited a P-133 when somebody left for greener pastures. Wiped the HD's and put FreeBSD on it without even looking to see what was on the HD before. All of my work email is forwarded to the FreeBSD box, and read with Eudora on the SE/30. The P-133 is better at Netscape as it has a color monitor.

Recently purchased a new Power Computing PowerCenter Pro 210. What a nice machine! Am really looking forward to the next issue of MacUser with the BeOS CDROM. Is said to have POSIX/Unix compatibility, including bash and other tools. And MacOS-incompatible.  :-(

Oh well, that's why I purchased a 4G HD. Then I read BeOS doesn't support the SCSI card the 4G HD is attached to.  :-(  (ever hear of an Adaptec 2930?)

So I upgraded a 5x86/133-P75 FreeBSD box with another 4G HD tonight, freeing a 510M HD for BeOS on the PCPro's external SCSI bus.

At home I'm not quite happy with exmh. Have been thinking a lot about putting this good Viewsonic PT770 monitor on my old Mac IIvx, using this FreeBSD system as a modem server (and other things with netatalk). And go back to good old Eudora over ethernet.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net