Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 18:09:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Damon Hammis <squirrel@hammis.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why can't I restore?

I'm completely frustrated and lost at this point.

For some reason or another I can't restore a filesystem from a tape.  I
can dump to the tape.  I can tar and untar from a tape, but I can't
restore from a tape at all.  I've tried this with different tapes,
different drives, and different SCSI cards.  I have used two different HP
Surestore DDS-2 drives and two Adaptec 1540 SCSI adapters.  This worked
find when I was running 4.0-STABLE, which is where the important tape was
made.  Since I've upgraded to 4.1-RELEASE I can't restore at all.  Like I
said, tar to and from the tape works, and dump works.  However, restore
does not.

Normally I run dump -0uaf /dev/nrsa0 /usr.

Then, mt rew.

Followed by a restore -if /dev/nrsa0

This gives the code Tape read error: Input/Output error

After one or two tries the tape is frozen and I have to do a mt offline to
get the drive to respond again.

The really odd thing is that I can read the tape with my friend's Linux
box and identical drive and card no problem with restore.

Will upgrading to 4.1-STABLE work or maybe downgrading to 4.0-STABLE?

Your help is appreciated.

--Damon

                           _ _