Date:      Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:35:39 +0200
From:      Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
To:        Martin Birgmeier <Martin.Birgmeier@aon.at>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to 9.0: How to convert zpool from adX to adaX?

05.01.2012 09:59, Martin Birgmeier wrote:
> In 9.0, if I keep kern.cam.ada.legacy_aliases=1, there will be two paths
> to each device, one through adX, the other through adaX. Which one will
> zfs use, and show with 'zpool status'?

You are partially incorrect here:
[torn] ~> ls -la /dev | grep ad
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel            4  5 jan 08:22 ad6@ -> ada0
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel            5  5 jan 08:22 ad6a@ -> ada0a
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel            5  5 jan 08:22 ad6b@ -> ada0b
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel            5  5 jan 08:22 ad6d@ -> ada0d
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel            5  5 jan 08:22 ad6e@ -> ada0e
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel            5  5 jan 08:22 ad6f@ -> ada0f
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel           13  5 jan 08:22 ad6f.journal@ ->
ada0f.journal
crw-r-----   1 root  operator    0,  64  5 jan 08:22 ada0
crw-r-----   1 root  operator    0,  66  5 jan 08:23 ada0a
crw-r-----   1 root  operator    0,  68  5 jan 08:22 ada0b
crw-r-----   1 root  operator    0,  70  5 jan 08:23 ada0d
crw-r-----   1 root  operator    0,  72  5 jan 08:23 ada0e
crw-r-----   1 root  operator    0,  74  5 jan 08:22 ada0f
crw-r-----   1 root  operator    0,  79  5 jan 08:23 ada0f.journal

> Also, I understand that I will have to wire down the various ATA CAMs to
> obtain the old numbering. How can I do this? Again, which path would zfs
> use if I did not wire down the ATA CAMs? Will I have half of my devices
> go through adX and the other through adaX, or will zfs even believe that
> it has a multipath connectivity to each device?

Not at all, ad6 would be a symlink to correct ada device, I haven't yet
changed the fstab on this machine and it reads:

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/ad6b               none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad6a               /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad6e               /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad6f.journal               /usr            ufs     rw,async
         2       2
/dev/ad6d               /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/cd0                /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.