Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 95 13:13:40 EST
From:      jeffa@sybase.com (Jeff Anuszczyk)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jeffa@sybase.com
Subject:   Hmmm... interesting situation I'm in with current...

Hi All,
   I had 2.0R loaded on my system and SUP'd the latest down to my machine
the other day.  Rebuilt without error... rebuilt the kernel and then
rebooted.  Hmmm, it appears that magically the boot block for the BSD
partition went away since OSBS says "No Operating System on that Partition".
All I did was a "make world" and install a new kernel.  MS-DOS still boots
fine.

   So any clues as to why?  I tried to reboot off of the 2.0R (latest from
Jordan) install floppy to build a Fixit kernel.  However, my attempt to
reboot causes one of those endless reboot cycles.  Any suggestions as
to how I can recover from this situation?  I'd really rather not blow
away my system disk and reinstall since I had just finished downloading
about 50MB worth of stuff from another site (okay so I assumed I'd reboot
under current successfully :-).

   My configuration is:

	486DX2/66, 16MB - PC clone with AMI Bios
	Adaptec 1542B,
		Boot Disk is a 1GB DEC DSP3107LS SCSI-II
	IDE,
		Western Digital 200MB
	SMC Elite 16C
	ATI Mach 8

I guess if worse comes to worse I'll rebuild on the IDE and then save
the stuff I don't want to loose.  However the IDE contains the source
tree so all of the SUP stuff will get lost (no backup).  Sigh.

Thanks for any suggestions,
   - jeff