Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 03:29:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      project10 <project10@alpha.focalnetworks.net>
To:        Stavros Patiniotis <sp@esc.net.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PAM & mysql authentication

Stavros,

Please set your mailer to wrap lines at 80 columns.
See comments in-line.

---------
Shawn Lussier

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Stavros Patiniotis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using qpopper compiled with pam support to test this module, but I get the following errors, when trying to login via pop.
>
> unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/pam_mysql.so)
> unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/pam_mysql.so)
> [dlerror: Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.10" not found]
> [dlerror: Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.10" not found]
> adding faulty module: /usr/lib/pam_mysql.so
> adding faulty module: /usr/lib/pam_mysql.so
>
> /usr/lib/pam_mysql.so has the same permissions as the other pam_* files.

	Where are your mysql libraries located? Ensure that this directory
is in your ld hints file, /etc/ld.so.conf and /etc/ld-elf.so.conf
(on my system, mysql installed its libraries to /usr/local/lib/mysql).
After that, run ldconfig(8) on the files. Adding this directory to the
ldconfig hints file solved problems with applications not being able to
load the libmysqlclient library. Hope this helps.

	As far as the scalability of this solution, I can't say for
certain, however I am fairly confident that you shouldn't have problems.
MySQL handles large loads fairly well, and I haven't run across any
performance barriers in applications more demanding than 120
requests/second.