Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 17:35:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <tim@ppp6564.on.sympatico.ca>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Visual Basic under FreeBSD?

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> I'm back to porting, but I don't have time for this and it looks
> interesting although not necessarily portable (and IMO VB sucks ;-) ):
> 	http://SoftworksLtd.com/vbvm.html

Actually, if you read far enough down their webpage, it does list
FreeBSD as one of the systems it has been ported to.  (although I
don't see an FBSD version on their ftp site).

However, this will only run programs that are compiled with
MicroSoft Visual Basic.  These programs will still be written on a
MicroSoft OS, using what is (currently) a language only available by
paying Microsoft money.  This drops any encouragement for MS Win VB
programmers to learn about non VB, non-MS languages (this, in fact,
is basically the stated purpose in creating this vbvm).

This is one of the few times where I think the unavailability of a
piece of technology on FreeBSD will do more good than its
availability.  :-(  Rather than seeing this vbvm, I would love to
see a VB compiler on FreeBSD.

Anyways, since it also looks like it will not be freely available
(either a demo or other) once it finished, I don't think it would
make a good "port" candidate.

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names