Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 18:16:02 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, peter@netplex.com.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Studded@dal.net
Subject:   Re: Upgrade documentation (Was: Re: Make world error on -current elf)

>Incidently, I had to back out the /dev/sd0a <-> /dev/sd0s1a mount device
>changes for / in /etc/fstab.  I'm not sure how this works..  Will a 3.x
>system deal with an old-style 'sd0a' or 'wd0a' line in /etc/fstab?

That change is a real pain for testing old kernels.  I used /dev/sd0a
on most of my systems for backwards compatibility.  This works except
when fsck needs to run.

3.x will certainly accept sd0a for dedicated disks, since there is no
sd0s1 then.  What should happen is for mount(8) and fsck(8) to get
the name of the root device from the kernel using fsstat(), and use
it instead of the fstab entry unless it is the useless dummy name
"root_device" returned by old kernels.

Bruce