Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 20:05:24 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Michael Bacarella <mbac@nyct.net>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Double buffered cp(1)

Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :I tested build worlds where I created my /usr/obj on one controller
> :and left the /usr/src on a different controller. The buildworlds are
> :pretty much I/O bound. They ran faster but not that much faster when
>
>     Buildworlds are NOT I/O bound.  They are *CPU* bound.  This becomes
>     glaringly obvious when you mount /usr/src and /usr/obj over NFS
>     and look at the network traffic.

You are right but that is because I haven't started keeping record on
4.0-Stable and we were comparing apples and oranges. A buildworld of
3.4-Stable required around 2000u seconds using gcc-2.8.2 on my system.
Setiathome, which is running at a nice of 19, still consumed 90% of
the cpu. A buildworld on 4.0-Stable required 3500u seconds using
gcc-2.95.2 and setiathome didn't accrue any appreciable cpu time
during the build. There were definitely some changes there :).

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html