Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 20:45:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Novice needs help

> Using Partition Magic, I created a second 1.5G primary partition (FAT) in
> front of the FAT32.  I'd like to use the 1.5G for the BSD OS.

	So, if I understand what you are saying correctly, you have a
   1.5GB FAT partition and then a 7.5GB FAT 32 partition, right? (Plus
   a MBR space, etc).

> My problem comes after I boot into the FAT partition w/ the kern/mfsroot
> disks during the configuration process (before actually installing the dist
> files from the CDROM).

	If I understad what you are saying, you need to delete the
   FAT partition. Assign that partition to freebsd when you get to
   the FDISK Partition Editor menu when you boot.

> as Freebsd in the fdisk menu, I am unable create the file systems (root,
> user, and swap space)in the disk label menu.

	That doesn't make sense. :-) I think that is because you are
   trying to install FreeBSD into a FAT partiton, and it doesn't like
   that. Also, make sure you make the FreeBSD partition bootable, probably
   with the FDISK Partiion Editor menu.

							Bruce