Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 19:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Martin Pool <mbp@samba.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/36998: rsync requires -O2?

The following reply was made to PR ports/36998; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Martin Pool <mbp@samba.org>
To: grog@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 19:42:00 -0700

 Hi,

 I'm the upstream rsync maintainer.  Hopefully I have the right reply
 address.

 Although -O2 is the default for building rsync with gcc, I was not
 aware that it was required to get a properly functioning version.
 You'd have to suspect it was a compiler bug that the behaviour
 differs, but perhaps not.

 The crash is inside zlib, which is a 3rd-party library we ship
 with some modifications.  Linking against the system's zlib will
 produce a similar error -- I don't suppose you were doing that in
 your port, were you?

 I don't have easy access to a FreeBSD box, but I'll try to reproduce
 this elsewhere.  I'd really appreciate if somebody could work out
 what exactly is going wrong.

 Thanks,
 --
 Martin