Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 21:49:53 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@glock.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CHILD_MAX

>    Does anyone know why CHILD_MAX for the kernel and CHILD_MAX
>in the /usr/include/sys/syslimits.h are different (128 and 40
>respectively)?  I'm running into the problem of having too few
>processes available.  If I redefine the define in syslimits.h to
>128 will I be able to run right away, or am I correct in
>presuming that I'm going to have to rebuild things?  What all
>will I have to rebuild?

If you're running tcsh, you can just use the...

	limit maxproc 128

		or

	unlimit

... commands.  (Unlimit, of course, sets it to its maximum value --
1044 on my machine.)

Other shells can do the same thing with similar commands.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.