Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 23:15:09 -0700
From:      DAve <dave@pixelhammer.com>
To:        Joe.Warner@smed.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unable to access SAMBA shares via WIN NT

Joe, I'm using Samba on FreeBSD and connecting with Windows 98 no
problems. I don't run NT but I don't think you HAVE to edit the
registry, check here before you do anything!

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/FAQ/#28

Read the Samba docs on using encrypted passwords

then I would install and run SWAT, it makes setting up Samba a snap.

Finally, purchase "Samba Administrators Handbook" ISBN #
0-7645-4636-8  You will find it easy to read, very descriptive, and
it covers the specifics of Linux, BSD, and Solaris installs.

DAve.

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000, Danny wrote:
> After you apply service pack 3 in Windows NT it starts using encrypted =
passwords
> FreeBSD uses plain text passwds
>=20
> You have to modify your registry to use plaintext passwds (recommended)
> You can uinstall IE 4 and not use Service Pack 3 (not recommended)
> You can read the help file for encrypted passwords =3D yes option.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On Sat, 08 Jul 2000, Joe.Warner@smed.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >=20
> >  I am posting this to FreeBSD-Questions in an act of desperation.  I =
have
> > setup and configured SAMBA to run on a FreeBSD workstation (FreeBSD 3=
=2E4) on
> > our LAN where I work.  I believe I have /usr/local/etc/smb.conf confi=
gured
> > correctly because when I run "testparm", I get the message "Loaded se=
rvices
> > file OK."  My workstation running FreeBSD shows up in the right domai=
n on
> > our network but when I try to access it, it presents me with a logon.=
  I've
> [...]
ss a
> > FreeBSD workstation from WIN NT, the login and password need to be th=
e same
> > as an existing account on the FreeBSD workstation.  Also, I don't kno=
w if
> > this is important or not but when I do "ps aux | more", I can see nmb=
> > running but never see smbd running.  I have the proper netbios entrie=
s for
> > smbd and nmbd in my inetd.conf file.  Should the smbd daemon be runni=
ng?
> > How come I don't see it?  I've tried starting smbd by issuing the fol=
lowing
> > as root: /usr/local/sbin/smbd and inetd smbd.  The only one that show=
s up
> > when I ps aux | more is inetd smbd but this still doesn't allow me ac=
cess
> > from a WIN NT workstation.  I've read every piece of related document=
ation
> > I can think of, exp. The Complete FreeBSD, the SAMBA section in Runni=
ng
> > Linux, the documentation at http://www.samba.org and the man pages an=
> > still can't get this to work.  Here is what my smb.conf looks like:
> >=20
> > [global]
> >    workgroup =3D SMS_SLC
> >    guest account =3D nobody
> >    keep alive =3D 30
> >    printing =3D bsd
> >    printcap name =3D /etc/printcap
> >    load printers =3D yes
> >    print command =3D /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
> >    lpq command =3D /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
> >    lprm command =3D /usr/bin/lprm -p%p %j
> >    preserve case =3D yes
> >    short preserve case =3D yes
> >    case sensitive =3D no
> >=20
> > [homes]
> >    comment =3D /home/(name of account on FreeBSD workstation is here)
> >    browseable =3D yes
> >    read only =3D no
> >    create mode =3D 0750
> >=20
> > [usr]
> >    comment =3D /home/(again..name of FreeBSD account)
> >    browseable =3D yes
> >    read only =3D no
> >    create mode =3D 0750
> >    directory =3D /home/(name of FreeBSD account)
> >=20
> > [cdrom]
> >    comment =3D FreeBSD CD-ROM
> >    path =3D /cdrom
> >    read only =3D yes
> >    locking =3D no
> >=20
> > [printers]
> >    comment =3D All Printers
> >    browseable =3D yes
> >    printable =3D yes
> >    public =3D no
> >    read only =3D yes
> >    create mode =3D 0700
> >    directory =3D /tmp
> >=20
> > This is a shortened version of the smb.conf file that I created with =
Vi.  I
> > still have the orginal file that I copied as smb.old.  Any help with =
this
> > would be greatly appreciated.  I've been struggling with this for 2 w=
eeks
> > now (trying to find the solution on my own) and I'm just spinning my
> > wheels.  Thanks.  Joe
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> --
>=20
> You are not authorized to use my email address for any purpose.
> This is a violation of my privacy. Unsolicited
> mail/posts is a "theft of service". Remove my email
> address from your databases immediately.
>=20
> You are only authorized to use my email address only in
> conjunction with address the issue in this email.
--=20
"My center is giving way,=20
my right is pushed back;=20
situation excellent,=20
I am attacking." =0D=20
Ferdinand Foch at the Second Battle of the Marne (1918)