Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 00:10:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        groudier@club-internet.fr (Gerard Roudier)
Cc:        winter@jurai.net, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEWS: SYM53C1010 and Ultra3 support

As Gerard Roudier wrote ...

> On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > As Gerard Roudier wrote ...

> > > I do misunderstood all of your postings, and btw, if the ncr driver would
> >
> > Please!! I am not attacking anyone, especially not you. <Sigh>
>
> I didn't feel attacked. :)

OK, let's consider that one settled ;-)

> I felt mostly the ncr driver maintainance criticized and I cannot accept
> that for obvious reasons even if I wasn't the official maintainer. I felt
> that indirectly STefan was attacked and I cannot accept that given that I

Wrong impression, at least as far as I'm concerned. I've met STefan in
person and he has helped me a number of times via private email when I had
questions around (for example) the ncr driver messages. Always had a
good relationship with STefan.

> And I was nervous about this 'still another person that wanted a single
> driver for all the SYM53C[8/10/15]XX family' thread, since it is obvious

It was just a person nervous about his Alpha's potentially starving
for disks ;-) ;-) Lack of information on my part obviously.

> I desired to suggest people to criticize any ancient driver that has been
> the greatest driver code I found in 1995 (my opinion still unchanged
> nowadays).

I've used ncr/symbios cards ever since I got my first PCI-capable mainboard.
Has worked just fine for me. I never understood why (for home systems that
is, as opposed to big server stuff) people spend lots of $$ on Adaptecs.
I only got anything else than ncr/symbios cards when I could get Qlogic
and Adaptec cards for a few $ a piece.

Wilko