Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 13:27:38 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Kenneth Mays <kmays2000@hotmail.com>, Nick.Barnes@pobox.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recommended notebook for FreeBSD

On Friday,  5 October 2001 at  9:22:24 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> From: "Kenneth Mays" <kmays2000@hotmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 10:44:03 -0400
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>>
>> A recommended laptop for FreeBSD v4.4 is the IBM Thinkpad 600E (Model:
>> 2645-4au) series. I was testing for v4.3 and 4.4 of FreeBSD. Zero problems.
>
> While I think my 600E (2645-5AU) is a great platform for FreeBSD,
> there are a couple of gotchas that hit the new user. Once fixed, they
> are easy to forget about (with the exception of sound).
>
> First, ThinkPads use a separate utility, ps2, to set up most BIOS
> options. Only a couple of things are adjustable from the boot setup
> mode. While ps2 will not run under FreeBSD, you can make a bootable OS
> floppy with the ps2.exe file on it (if you have Windows on your 600E)
> or download a floppy image from the IBM web site. (Sorry, but I don't
> have the URL, but it's in the archives and not too hard to find on the
> site.)

I don't know the 600E, which is not a current production machine, but
the newer machines don't need a separate setup utility.  I suspect
that most of the other comments are related to this particular model
as well.

> To get the sound working configure the kernel with:
> device pcm0 at isa? port 0x52c irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x10
> and do not include "options PNPBIOS" in your configuration.
>
> Before building the kernel, run the following script:
> #!/bin/sh
> perl -pi.orig -e "s@(dev/sound/pci/csa.c\s+optional pcm)@#\1@g;s@(csapcm.c\s+optional) pcm@\1 csa pcm@g" /sys/conf/files
>
> Note that this script must be re-run every time you update your
> sources!

Hmm.  I don't have time to look at this, but I don't think this is the
correct solution to the problem you're seeing.

> That's about it. While I look forward to better PCMCIA support in V5
> (about a year from now), I doubt that any laptop has more functional
> features than the 600E including the internal modem and audio. I
> routinely run with either a Xircom or Orinoco network card. (NOTE: the
> Xircom CardBus cards are NOT supported yet!)

Some more recent Thinkpads come with a built-in PCI Ethernet card,
which is both faster and easier to integrate than the PCMCIA cards.

Greg