Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 11:58:05 -0600
From:      peter%ski.austin.ibm.com@tkg.com (Peter Jeffe)
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vi problems

> > I'm getting an illegal instruction whenever I use "w" or "/" in vi.
> > This is on a 486 with 8 megs.  Is this a known problem or do I need
> > to dig around a bit?  Is there a better way to find out known bugs
> > without bothering you guys?  Thanks!
> >
> > -- peter jeffe  peter@tkg.com  jeffe@austin.ibm.com  http://tkg.com
>
> This is probably an installation problem at your part.
> Do you have swap space? do you have /tmp? Which version
> of OS? how did you install it?Under what circumstances does it
> happen? Editing an empty file/new file?Are you in single user
> mode or multi user mode? Are your file systems checked OK?
>
> Is your hardware OK? (memory, disk?)
>

> --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

Well, no other programs seem to have any problems, but I haven't made
an exhaustive search.  I'm not sure how an illegal instruction core
dump could be caused by an install problem, but here goes:

    30 megs swap.
    /tmp is fine.
    2.0.5.
    Installed from cd-rom under dos (from dos filesystem).
    Happens editing any file whenever I do a "w" or "W", either by
    themselves to move the cursor or in an editing command like "cw".
    Happened under generic kernel as well as customized one.
    Multi-user mode.
    Fielsystems check fine.
    Hardware ok as far as I know (new WD 1280 drive, never had memory
    problems).

I didn't bother debugging the core since I thought for sure this must
be a known problem.  If it isn't, I'll just have to investigate.  Thanks
for any insights.

-- peter jeffe  peter@tkg.com  jeffe@austin.ibm.com  http://tkg.com