Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:54:29 -0500
From:      Tony Wells <awells@journalstar.com>
To:        Walter Miller <wmiller@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache or AOLServer?

I've monkeyed around with AOLserver for a couple months now and I like
it.  The user base is noticeably smaller than Apache, so it's kinda
hard to find anyone who's familiar with it.

What I liked about AOLS is that it has a built-in Tcl 8.3 interpreter
and it has built-in persistent database connection pools.  The only
third-party module I need is the MySQL DB driver, which being the AOLS
db interface is so clean, even I can understand. (And modify the
driver slightly, which I did.)

AOLS virtual hosts all listen on different ports, and from what I can
tell AOLS doesn't do name-based virtual hosting, but the rumor is the
next major release will have better virtual host support.

I've read most of the Greenspun stuff about AOLS, but once you load
the PHP module for Apache most of his points become moot.  PHP has
persistent database connections, PHP doesn't spawn another process
etc...  We run Apache/PHP and average about 30 SQL queries per second,
with about 60/second peak, and the machine doesn't break a sweat.
That said, it took a lot of work to get a stable Apache/PHP setup and
to get the logs quiet.

PHP isn't the only solution for dynamic content for Apache, and
truthfully the options are staggering.

Probably the only way to evaluate AOLserver is to download it and
start messing around with it.  Or you could ask the folks on the
AOLserver mailing list for more information which you can join at
http://www.aolserver.com/