Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 16:12:29 +1030 (CST)
From:      newton@communica.com.au (Mark Newton)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, scrappy@hub.org, grog@lemis.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding New Hard Drives: A Major Complaint

Michael Smith wrote:

 > Amancio Hasty Jr. stands accused of saying:
 > > fdisk/disklabel Pretty lame if you ask me -- perhaps we should required
 > > FreeBSD to be booted by  IBM Punch Cards....
 >
 > I can do that, if I can find the guy around here with the card hardware.

<laugh>  You can't even get your half-inch tape drive working with FreeBSD.
Why should we sit back and assume you can get us booting from punch-cards?
:-)

[ Hey!  At least we'd then have a device that we support which Linux doesn't
  <grin> ]

 > We still support 80-column ttys, so the heritage link is there.

Ah, but can you *boot* from them?

[ I prefer front-panel toggle switches myself... ]

    - mark

---
Mark Newton                               Email: newton@communica.com.au
Systems Engineer                          Phone: +61-8-373-2523
Communica Systems                         WWW:   http://www.communica.com.au