Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:49:51 -0500
From:      "Paul C. Boyle" <paulcb_mcse@yahoo.com>
To:        Marcia Barrett Nice <mimerki@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie hostname issue.

On February 27, 2002 09:13 pm, Marcia Barrett Nice wrote:
> Redirected to -questions before someone yells at us for being off-topic...
> ;-)
>
> What I have always done in your shoes is give the box a hostname.  This
> hostname isn't registed anywhere other than on your computer.  It shouldn't
> be used for anything other than your internal workings.  But it will make
> the box quit hanging to look for a hostname.  I suspect here on -questions
> someone with a bit more expertise can actually give you a better
> suggestion...

Thanks Marcia
I found my problem.
When I added the entry in the hosts file I only gave it a machine name
and not a phony FQDM.
So I put one in and also an alias after the phony FQDM.
It works fine now at boot time.
Windows habbits are hard to break.
Must be plexi-glass.

> I've tried to install kdevelop from ports a couple of times.  It hasn't
> worked yet for me.  I have to admit that I didn't care enough to do
> anything about it, but now you have two reports of it not installing
> properly. (Similar error messages, though it's been long enough since I
> last tried that I cannot guarantee them to be identical.)

Well Marcia,
My 4.5 install is not what you my call a pure install.
Many KDE packages were not on the cd set. All I could install from the set
was the bare minimum.  I had to rip kppp form the 4.4 iso.  The install
compained a bit but it did do it.   I did this from /stand/sysinstall.
I managed to download kmultimedia2 and it seems to work fine. So do the games
and utilities, I think I took these from the 4.4 iso.  Having tried to
download kdevelop and kmymoney2 they both failed.   Could it be they are
dependant on something I don't have installed.   BTW when I was running the
4.4 iso installation i had installed kdevleop and it seemed to work for a
while.  I am not a programmer so I can't really comment on its worthyness.
What I would like to try is get all things new KDE and start fresh.
What do you think?  Should I rip everything KDE out and do a fresh install or
could I install on top of what I have now?