Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 20:46:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@alpha.netcraft.co.uk>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, vince@apollo.COSC.GOV, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, jc@irbs.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, FAQ@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 update

> NO?
> I think he has it right eventhough he says it a bit oddly..
>
> -current always moves forwards.
> every so often a 'branch' is made that is eventually made into a release..
> What I'm not sure of myself, is whether -stable
> derives from -current, or from a previous (unstable?) release.
> (because we are effectively doing both at the moment)

I think it would probably make sense for stable to continue as a 2.1
lineage until such time as current is felt stable enough to become a release
candidate. If current is in development a long time there may be a 2.1.1
release or even a 2.1.2

Eventually though current will reach a point where it becomes a release
candidate and a new 2.2 stable branch taken off it. I guess the 2.1
lineage would die at that point due to lack of resources.

Just speculation on my part....

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)