Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 13:52:19 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Rafter Man <rafter@linuxmail.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3 in 1

On 2002-05-11 18:42, Rafter Man wrote:

> 1. I have just installed 4.5-Release and know that there must have
> been found some security bugs it. Because I am running a server I
> cannot follow the Stable branch, so I only upgrade the system between
> the Releases, but of cause I want to be secure. I am subscribed to the
> FreeBSD mailing lists regarding security, but how do I find every
> security bug in my 4.5 Release?  I have found
> http://www.freebsd.org/security/index.html#adv does it hold all the
> security bugs in 4.5-Release? So if I path the 14 bugs found I am
> up-to-date?

You can always update your sources with CVSup to the security branch
of 4.5-RELEASE by using the tag RELENG_4_5 (as opposed to RELENG_4
which would fetch you 4.5-STABLE).  The security branch is exactly
what you mentioned.  The 4.5-RELEASE source plus security fixes.

> 2. Why do syslogd have to bind to port 514? My system is not
> log-server so all syslogd have to do is write to /var/log, so I can't
> see why it should bind to a port.

It's not mandatory.  You can turn it off with an option.  Read the
manpage of syslog and look at the description of -s.

> 3. Will sftp-server use /etc/ftpchroot in the future?

Can't tell.  I'm not using sftp-server.

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/