Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2012 21:19:46 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Aldis Berjoza <graudeejs@yandex.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why do we need vfs.root.mountfrom for zfs

on 18/11/2012 16:03 Aldis Berjoza said the following:
> I was wondering why oh, why do we need to set
> vfs.root.mountfrom in /boot/loader.conf in order to boot from zfs.

Who is 'we'?  And why do you think 'we' have to do that? :-)

> zpools have bootfs option.
>
> This info is redundant.
> I think one of two could be totally avoided at least in case when we boot form gptzfsboot.
>
> What I'm missing?

You don't miss anything.  The defaults work fine.  You don't have to set
vfs.root.mountfrom unless you want it to point to some non-default fs.

More details:
http://ru.kyivbsd.org.ua/arhiv/2012/kyivbsd12-gapon-zfs.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1
Page 17 and one.

--