Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:18:17 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@FreeBSD.org>, Doug Rabson <dfr@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Alpha is seriously broken

--0QFb0wBpEddLcDHQ

Hi all,

This is a JFYI that recent Alphas (I don't know if it's a
kernel or libc) are seriously broken.

Wilko brought an issue in my face that a make(1) binary
on his "a couple days ago" development box is dumping a
core.  I logged in to beast.FreeBSD.org only to find out
the same, and also that cc(1) is dumping core as well
when I try to compile a dummy source file:

$ uname -a
FreeBSD beast.freebsd.org 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #462: Tue Aug 17 =
17:41:15 UTC 2004     kensmith@beast.freebsd.org:/usr/src/sys/alpha/compile=
/BEAST  alpha
$ cat a.c
void dummy(void) {}
$ cc -o a.o a.c
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
$ make a.o
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I'd call beast and Wilko's DS10 dead machines now.  :-(

Maybe this is related to the TLS work, I don't know...
Maybe this has been fixed already, but these machines
don't have a chance to upgrade nicely.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov