Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 14:59:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        tlayton@global-sol.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SendMail ?

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>I am a new FreeBSD user/administrator and don't know where to
>really start with SendMail.  I am going to use FreeBSD on our Web
>site and also for e-mail.  SendMail appears to be very detail
>oriented.  Where should I start to give my users remote POP3
>e-mail ?

For sendmail, the usual reference is the Sendmail book from O'Reilly,
by Bryan Costales with Eric Allman & Neil Rickert.  It's got a picture
of a bat on the front.  When you see its size, you will say to
yourself, "Yes. sendmail is very detail oriented." :)

As far as POP3, the most basic drill goes like this:

1.  Install a POP server from the ports or packages collection.  The
obvious one to use is popper, although there are other options.

2.  Use adduser to add usernames and passwords for the people who want
POP3 accounts.  If you don't want them to have shell access, add an
invalid shell (such as /email-only) to /etc/shells, and use that as
their default shell.

Tell the users to use your.host.com (where your.host.com is the name
of your machine) as the machine to connect to, with their freebsd
username and password as their actual username and password.

I hope this helps.

bryan
--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/