Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 20:13:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: >8 char usernames going into 2.2.5

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, Snob Art Genre wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Tom wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Snob Art Genre wrote:
> >
> > > Underscore is AFAIK not supposed to be allowed in usernames.  Hyphen is,
> >
> >   Huh?  Why not?
>
> I don't remember where I read it.  Hey people, is this in some RFC
> somewhere or am I making it up?

  RFC?  Why?  Is there an RFC that says what you should eat for breakfast?
:)

  It is local issue, not under the realm of any RFC.  The only RFCs that
may vaguely apply are RFC821, 822, and 1122 in regards to the local part
of e-mail addresses, since usernames make up the local part of e-mail
addresses on Unix systems.  In this case, RFC 821 and RFC 822 are quite
flexible.  With proper quoting you can even put spaces in the local part
(ex.  "my name"@domain.com).  Basically the set of all possible Unix
usernames is a subset of the set of all RFC821/822 local parts.

  The only other thing about "_" is hostnames.  "_" are NOT allowed in
hostnames.  This is probably what you are thinking about.

Tom