Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 13:03:39 +1000
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        "Galella, Anthony" <anthony.galella@intel.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: verbose logging of root?

At 10:11 4/04/2002 -0500, Galella, Anthony sent this up the stick:
>Unfortunately sudo won't help in this situation.
>There is a "backup" sysadmin here that has root access in case I am not
>available.

If he needs root permissions, you assign them to his _own_ userid

>He is learning, but I want to be able to track everything he does as root in
>order to know exactly what is happening on the system.
>Case in point: he chown'd and chmod'd a whole directory structure, causing
>loss of access for users. I found the problem, and fixed it, but if I could
>track what he did in the logs, I could be aware of these things before users
>are (hopefully):)

I suppose the only thing that I can see where sudo would not be of use is
on a unix desktop machine that has lost sight of the network, and there was
local root access needed.

Cheers,
Rob

It was such a lovely day I thought it a pity to get up.

[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian
This is random quote 684 of a collection of 1223