Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2012 13:57:21 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, Dan Allen <danallen46@airwired.net>
Subject:   Re: local APIC error 0x40

On Wednesday, August 01, 2012 6:04:55 pm Dan Allen wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2012, at 10:06 AM, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Can you use a binary search on the date to narrow down which commit breaks
it?

> Sadly, I cannot.  I upgraded the machine to RELENG_9.  The powerd demon
appears to control the fan okay now.  However I still must use the apic hint
in loader.conf to turn off my 2nd core or else I get flooded with that "0x40"
error message.

> Today running in 9.1 PRERELEASE I have a quiet fan, only one core, and I
have got a "stray irc7" message a couple of times.  This is all on my Core Duo
Toshiba Satellite U205.

> Meanwhile, on a Pentium 4 and a tiny Dell Mini 10 Inspiron with an Intel
Atom chip, everything is fine with RELENG_9.  It is just this Toshiba, which
ran perfectly for years with FreeBSD 6, 7, but things have declined with 8.0
and later.

Hummm.  Can you get a verbose dmesg?

--
John Baldwin