Date:      Sun, 09 Apr 2000 21:15:50 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How hard would it be...

In message <4.1.20000410043058.00910dc0@mail.rz.fh-wilhelmshaven.de> Olaf Hoyer writes:
: Well, if we are talking about the same device, rumors went that the BIOS of
: that thingie may be reprogrammed via internet.

BIOS can be reporgrammed via a program that was downloaded...  But
only if you called a certain ISP.

: BIOS update in that way also involve disabling IDE parts...

No.  It doesn't.  The updated BIOS is just very picky about what it
boots.

: I don't know if that is only booting or the whole part..

Only booting.  Drives detect just fine.

: Have seen some hardware rewiring on another mailing list to prevent that
: mangling of BIOS.

Dremmel tools and heat guns were discussed to allow socked parts to be
more easily accessed.  I'm trying to avoid that.

Warner