Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:06:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Nuckolls <jamesn@what.net>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Query:  How to tell if Microsoft is using BSD TCP/IP code?

In mailinglist.freebsd.hackers, you wrote:
> This is a good reference, but sadly it only really refers to "the
> sockets paradigm as first popularized by BSD", which means they could
> have followed the API without touching a single line of BSD code.
>
> To reiterate: What I'm looking for is some true, hard evidence that
> Microsoft has used BSD code in any of their operating systems.  A

I assume you've carefully examined the NT 3.51 (and 4.0) license
agreement?  If they did use anything that's from a BSD socket layer
there should be a clause 3 statement there[1][2].

I think I've got a NT 3.5 server kit at the office somewhere...

[1] I mention this because I sware I've seen an actual NT 3.51
manual, the front cover if which DID contain the Bezerkly license
agreement.  Unfortunatly I've lost it.
[2] And knowing Microsoft's lawyers, it really is there even if
they were trying to cover the fact up.