Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:51:46 +0200
From:      Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: HTT/SMP servers instability on 5.3-STABLE]

Colin J. Raven wrote:

> On Dec 10, Toomas Aas launched this into the bitstream:
>
>> For more than a month now, I've been running a Dual Xeon 2000 system
>> (IBM eServer xSeries 225) with 5.3-RC2 and later upgraded to
>> 5.3-RELEASE and I have no problems at all. Hyperthreading is disabled
>> in BIOS, ACPI is enabled.
>

> Excuse me for jumping into this thread but could you elaborate as to why
> you have Nyperthreading disabled?

I'm afraid I can't give you any good technical reasons. I simply think
of HTT as Intel marketing blurb, meant to make you feel like you are
getting two CPUs for the price of one. Well, actually it's still only
one CPU. I've been running another single Xeon 2.4 box for more than a
year. Initially, I ran several months with HTT enabled. Then I ran
several months with HTT disabled. I didn't really notice any performance
difference.