Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:16:38 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl

In message <199703241122.DAA01361@silvia.HIP.Berkeley.EDU> Satoshi Asami writes:
:  * Hmmm, I'm thinking that it might make sense to have a couple of things
:  * to make perl ports work better.
:  *
:  * PERL ?= ${PREFIX}/bin/perl
:  *
:  * and
:  *
:  * HAS_PERL_CONFIG
:  *
:  * which can be used to generate
:  *
:  * do-configure:
:  * 		@ cd ${WRKSRC}; ${SETENV} ${MAKE_ENV} ${PREFIX}/bin/perl Makefile.PL
:
: I don't understand what HAS_PERL_CONFIG is supposed to do.  Do some
: perl packages come with this Makefile.PL file that is actually not a
: Makefile but is a configure script?

Almost none of them come with Makefile.PL that isn't a config script.

:  * and also be used to make sure that perl5 exists on the system before
:  * trying to build
:
: That's what *_DEPENDS are for.

It doesn't detect perl5 existing all of the time.  At least that's my
experience.  And *_DEPENDS make the whole build fail, rather than just
this port, at least that's how it appeared to be acting when I've been
building under OpenBSD.

:  * 		   (and also enables NO_P5_JUNK-like functionality
:  * easily).
:
: What's that?

If I want to build the ports tree, but I don't care about any of the
P5-* ports for whatever reason, I'd like to be able to disable them
easily.

Warner